Exploring Brisbane
Another beautiful day in Brisbane of delicious food, beautiful views, and LOTS of walking! Blake and I continue to get a sense of the neighborhoods around Brisbane, which means a lot of foot work to get the feel of each place.
We started our day off right with a beautiful breakfast at the restaurant just around the corner from our Airbnb. Blake had this GORGEOUS dutch buttermilk pancake that was the perfect mix of sweet and savory with beautiful fresh fruit and edible flowers! My breakfast was ok, but nothing worth writing home, or in a blog, about.
We continue to explore the coffee offerings here in Australia. After ordering "black coffee" at our first breakfast and being brought something delicious, and then learning that drip coffee is very uncommon here, we have been on a quest to figure out just what I was brought! So far I have tried a latte (definitely not it, and nothing like an American latte), a long black (a shot of espresso with hot water) and a short black (a shot of espresso). So far all of these efforts have been in vain, but we shall prevail!
After a hearty breakfast, we set out on the CityCat ferry (Blake and I love riding in front with the wind in our hair!) up river (to the south, away from the mouth) to check out Mount Coot-tha. There are botanic gardens and a fantastic view overlooking all of Brisbane around the base of the mountain. pictured are some trees with a VERY interesting root structure, and a picture of Blake and I with the cityscape in the background.
After a long walk up and down the mountain, followed by a charming cafe lunch in Achenflower, a charming little neighborhood, we headed over to the big XXXX Brewery. We were later told that XXXX is the "cheap" beer and the brewery tends to attract a rowdy crowd. We can attest that the 12 other people in the taproom were seated together, chanting "CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG" to one unlucky fellow at about 3pm... Blake and I did our best to fit in with the locals but found our whistles plenty wet after one beer. Although we did have some fun trying to get a picture in...
I end today's blog post with this picture of me encountering an Australian Brushturkey in the Japanese Garden at the Mount Coot-tha Botanical Gardens. We seem to be equally wary of each other, but I am happy to report it was an eventless stand-off.





Comments
Post a Comment